Saturday, January 24, 2009

Part 5 - Weapons

Today, we went to our local Home Depot to pick up some stuff for around the house (leaking faucet, sand for the kids, saw for the Christmas tree, etc.), so I thought it would be the ideal time for some additional preparations.

Specifically, I bought a crowbar. $20 gets me a very useful tool. The flatter end can be used for jabbing through the front of the face, whilst the other end can be used to cave in skulls. I'd have to be careful not to actually hit with the clawed part as I wouldn't want it to get stuck and get overwhelmed. For a lone assailant, the claw would definitely work, though. I'm considering looking into a titanium model, too. The trade-off for combating Zeds, however, is weight. I wouldn't be expending as much energy with titanium if the need to start swinging arose, but then again, the 8+ lbs of the steel bar lets its weight do much of the work.

Speaking of swinging, I hate baseball. Having said that, $30/hour gets me an hours worth of a hard swinging work out in the local batting cages. Or, for a different swing, that same cost would get me about 5 buckets of golf balls at the nearest driving range.

My father has an old Bolo machete that is heavy enough, and strong enough, to chop down small trees. (Well, any sized tree, really. Given enough time, of course.) In all the years he's had it - which is as long as I can remember - he's never been able to find another one like it. Most machetes that you an find today are lightweight, flimsy, and made of aluminum, or something. His is steel. Heavy steel. Even the one pictured here, although it looks very similar to my father's, is said to weigh just over a pound. Seems a little light from what I recall of Dad's. Might be worth ordering, however.

Although it would be nice to have a katana sword, and there's a company in my hometown that makes them, I can think of a better way to spend $3,000. There are claims of real "battle ready" swords online, starting at only a couple hundred dollars, I'd just have to research it a bit more before going with one that's only the fraction of the price of what I know to be a real sword.

Although not a weapon, I'd be stupid not to consider armour of some kind. I wouldn't want something that limits my freedom of movement, but at the same time it has to be able to withstand the bite of a human being. Well, how 'bout a shark suit? Feeder sleeves (with gloves) can be purchased online. Although not the strongest biter, a Great White's bite is several hundred pounds per square inch, whereas a human's bite is only a couple hundred, at most. So, I'd say the feeder sleeves would work perfectly. I've sent a mail to Neptunic, asking them about pricing of said sleeves. Stay tuned.

Rule #4 (in the ZSG) is the reason why I haven't mentioned guns, yet. Having said that, I would need to apply for a Possession and Aquisition License before purchasing a weapon. Also, guns are loud and would draw attention unless a silencer was used. I'll likely discuss firearms in a future post. Right now, however, I'm going to stick to ammo-less weaponry.

No comments:

Post a Comment