Friday, January 09, 2009

Part 1 - Zed

Zed is a nickname for a zombie. (Also referred to as a Zack by the US Army.)

According to The Zombie Survival Guide, a zombie is the result of a person who has been infected with the Solanum virus, has "died", and then has been reanimated as a walking, feasting, living-dead ghoul.

Not to be confused with anything voodoo related, or what you see in mainstream movies, these zombies seek out flesh, feel no pain, aren't very mobile or quick, and whether they resemble a friend or family member, they won't remember who you are and spare you.

Having just finished reading the ZSG, I have come to the realization that I, along with my family, are woefully unprepared for anything more than a Level 1 Outbreak.

Each week I hope to post my progress on the steps I'm taking to be ready for any outbreak that might occur. Everything from preparing my home, to making escape plans; from purchasing equipment, supplies, and weapons, to finding and purchasing land to build a "fortress" on; from researching past outbreaks to learning new skills and training to fight.

Unfortunately, there won't be a news story, an e-mail, or a YouTube video posted that warns us of an upcoming zombie apocalypse. No, when those things arrive, it'll already be too late. Hopefully, an outbreak at any level won't occur until I'm ready for it... or never at all.

Stay tuned.

2 comments: